Thursday, January 5, 2017

06.01.2017

05.01.2017

Great greaves on that Reaper. Today I spent a lot of time figuring out how to make foot armor and she decorations. By using a sneaker as the basis. It is a very common fact that fantasy and science fiction footware, seldom makes any sense what so ever. This holds true for reapers shoe armor as well. If anything they almost reminds me of braces. Maybe they are intended as shock absorbents and anti slip. But that is just meandering and pointless speculations. I'm here to make it work and look good while doing so.

Step one was to place my dainty foot on top of the table, dressed in blue woolly socks and all. It gave the views a good look at my hairy well shaped manly legs. Which I proceeded to cover in white butchers paper and masking tape. Thereby making a guide by drawing lines onto the paper with a permanent marker. After measuring twice, I took a knife and cut once. Folded the paper in the middle and cut it mostly symmetrical. It's one of the more tricky things to pull off on anything related to foam and precision. Some of the first cuts was done with a dull blade, that was a bad move, which is why I resorted to use a wetstone to sharpen the blades. Sharp blades gives nice, smooth and clean cuts. Those are the best as I don't have to remove artifacts with power tools. In order to deal with the transition on top of the knee, I glued on a piece of cloth on the back side. It will also cause the three pieces to stay in place. Unless something unforeseen occurs tomorrow, I will keep working on the armor and buy myself some more foam.
Njål Sand

No comments:

Post a Comment