Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Eggs for Easter? 30.03.2017

I should update this blog a lot more and write longer texts, but I’m easily distracted because games are awesome. Despite my obvious pains in the right arm. Which is nothing new to say the least. I can only my blame my lack of proper arm training earlier in life and aimless gaming. However now that that is said and done, on to the topic of costume props.

I have a lovely friend and aprentist whom is also a girl. She decided to craft Caliburn from the Nasuverse. The sword of Saber, a really complicated project with a lot of odds and ends. But in the end it will look fantastic. For the most part it will be constructed with plywood, foam and worbla. Despite my expertise in making objects and welding tools, cutting straight lines with a jug saw is tricky. The idea is to emulate the way blacksmiths assemble their blades, only with less forging and more cutting.


My second project is trying to get access to a more permanent blacksmith forge and a solid iron anvil. Luckily my old man left a half finished structure behind. Hopefully the big compressor can be used to fuel the fire with air. Raising the temperature high enough. Working in metal is awesome and quite fun indeed. 

Aside from that, my third project which I’m done with for now, is the magical beast eggs. By now there is no secret that I am a larper and as such, I like to build my own special effects. In this case I got an order of several eggs, intended for on of the sorcery classes. One egg is intended to be open, like something has escaped. So naturally I had to build myself a quite squishy and organic looking egg pod. Roughly based on the fantastic Alien franchise. All of these eggs are made from balloons. My intention was to buy Easter eggs and pimp the hell out of them. However none was on sale. Therefor I made a papermache mixture instead. Nabbed some newspaper from my neighbours overflowing mailbox. Which got shredded into a box of water and wallpaper glue. This wet mix will for the most part stay on the surface of the balloon when it dries up. Though I went a bit overboard with the water. Prolonging the drying process. That did however not deter me from smother it in latex sealant and beach sand, mixed with paint. The side pods are made from foam coated in liquid latex, which gives it a very rubbery texture. 
The same process holds true for the other ones as well. However the redish one is covered in seashells as well and some moss.
Green, brown and covered is one of them as well. That is simply pants glued onto the surface to give it a forest fairly feel. Whilst the blue one is simply coated in sand.
Eventually I will make a full sized Alien egg in clay
Stay tuned and be awesome!

Zaceron

#Aleins #easteregg #eggpod #magicalbeast #zaceron

No comments:

Post a Comment