Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Boxes with lootl

Boxes containing loot is a main stay in gaming, most adventures and in exploitation in general. I love loot, treasure and the chance I'd finding that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. However loot boxes in expensive full price games is not a very good thing. Seriously, people defend the practice? It like complaining about the plague, then hug the victim. Or something along the line of that. Regardless, a box players pay for with real money that contains a set of random items is gambling, raffle is a slightly less negative word. After all you do get a product, even if it's worthless junk. Unlike the classical one armed bandit, which will in most cases just take the money. At least a machine with a spinning wheel has an enforceable age limit. A game such as Overwatch has none what so ever, since the computer screen offer a lot of anonymity and the system will assume it's whomever owns the card that performed the transaction.

Regardless loot boxes is gambling, especially when I can get duplicates, something Overwatch fixed at least. Essentially young people and children will be exploited by the companies. Which will gladly make me and everyone else an addict, after all we want that sweet, sweet booty. The brain does this funny thing where we simply want more and more, until we want, then keep going. Luckily for me I do not have the patience for gambling and luck based mechanics. Then again, I'll gleefully indulge a good story from start to finish.

Before I ramble on too much. If I pay money for a box with random reward it's gambling. In a product sold to children, whom might end doing anything to get money to gamble away on virtual goods. Which might be bottom barrel trash.

A usual EA screwed up the system by exploiting it too much and now ruins it for all of us inspiring game developers. Loot boxes is a brillant way to earn money on any product I might sell. Just change skin color and I can increase the chance of getting cheap duplicates. Probably a better idea then my sinister plan of putting up a vending machine by a mall,  claim it's for charity and watch people gamble all their hard earned cash untill they sell their house and have to file for bankruptcy. But then Norway had to make it complicated, increase age to 18 and make the old insert coin system illegal.

Zaceron

No comments:

Post a Comment