Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Wonder Woman Shield

Wonder Woman’s Shield

Due to the recent and decent wonder woman film, recently released. I decided to make her shield. It was surprisingly easy and took around five hours in total. This is the definition of a DIY (do it your self). Despite how good it looks, I did mess up the runes at the bottom. They’re a bit crooked and nonsensical.

All it took was a wookpan , a sheet of EVA foam, soldering iron and a heatgun. That being said, it is a bit on the small side. However that is just a minor complication. Basically i traced a circle around the biggest pot lid I found. After struggling for quite some time, I did manage to cut a decent circle, Far from perfect. I’m not sure why I removed the pot lid and tried to do it freehand. Some of the liens got a bit wobbly. The hardest part was still to find the mid point of the circle. In the end I just used a ruler to draw up a square around the circle. Then traced a line from corner to corner, this also gave me a decent guide. Now the sane thing is to draw all the lines and do all of the scribbling on the surface before curving it.

The pattern I drew on plastic sheets I put on top of my pc screen, after hoisting the screen onto my lap. We truly live in fantastic times. The old crt monitors made this virtually impossible to do. Basically i found out I can use the flat screen as a make shift light table.

All of the decorations where carved out with a soldering iron, which incidentally releases some dank fumes. A breathing mask is recommended I suppose. After carving out several wonky trenches and gibberish Greek inspired runes, I heated the circle up. Then stuffed it into the wookpan and squeezed it into shape. Heated it some more and pull it out after it got cold. On the backside I attached another smaller circle of foam to attach the shield straps and to make it more sturdy. The straps it self are glued and bolted onto the foam, just to be on the safe side. Some paranoia is always recommended, plus durability is a must. Incidentally this also hides the straps on the backside. Making the whole product much more tidy.

Meanwhile the symbol and the colors was a deliberate pick. The original one from the comics always looked like a plastic toy. Hardly fitting a Greek amazon warrior. The new one looks a lot more fitting, but it lacked the logo. Which game me the idea combining the two designs. On the edges I carved in several crocked and wobbly runes as well, which in all likely hood is garbage and gibberish. But when you consider that people in the ancient world did not have powertools, some imperfections is to be expected. This is also the first time I’ve made a round buckler like this.

There are two plans for this shield, one is to have someone dress u and use it at launch day and then to give it to a lovely little lady, whom is a huge fan of Wonder Woman.

Zaceron


#wonderwoman #shield #diy #foam #protection #superhero

No comments:

Post a Comment