Saturday, November 14, 2020

Unfocused much?

 I really really loathe auto focus on web cameras. Yes these wonderful tools of the streaming trade have this feature on by default and it sucks. A very, very common mistake that occurs in most live streams at one point or another. Streamers tend to gleefully ignore this when they are the creative kind. Especially people painting miniatures are often painfully ignorant about how easy it is to disable this function and how terrible anything out of focus looks. Essentially the trick to adjusting anything on the camera is to right click on the source inside obs and select properties from the drop down menu. The popup window has a lot of settings and one of the check boxes is always focus. This setting is utter garbage and will cause a lot of headaches when active. 


The idea is that once you hold an object close to the lens, the camera will focus on that object and blur out anything else. However this setting reacts to pretty much any sort of movement that occurs inside the area the camera can see. This setting is also horribly slow and practically useless in low light environments. This fiction might work better on high end models. However it still takes a second or two for the objective to do its function. And in all honesty, that is something I personally refuse to deal with. I might not have the best equipment, but I know what I do not like, and if it is an issue, I will strive to fix it and improve. Something a lot of humans are utter rubbish at doing. The other thing to adjust on the setting menu is the sharpness. I have no idea why this setting is not maxed out from the get go. Maybe its the software just being careful, or it has to do with longevity. Something I have yet to have issues with. That said the cheaper the camera, the worse the range of settings are.


For people not that familiar with cameras, they have probably noticed that there is this noisy grain once the camera has been scaled up a bit. This is due to the camera not handling low light settings what so ever. The only cure is a better light rig, or a newer and more expensive camera. Something I eventually intend to acquire. Its a bit of a shame that I just cant just use a digital camera for this. My Lumix would be perfect to use as a web camera. That said, perhaps I can scavenge the old camera, give it a plugged in power-source and turn it into a web-camera. By the way, this idea occured to me as I was writing this.

Anyhow that is it for now.

Njål Signing out

#zaceron.


No comments:

Post a Comment