Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Why so serious? It is just a Joker

 


We all have a character or two from popular media we just simply loathe, dislike, hate or what not. Essentially one we have gotten tired of. In my case I simply can't stand the Joker from Batman, this pesky clownprince of crime shows up all over the media landscape. There is not a movies or a series within the fanshise this pasty faced lunatic doesn't show up in. For all intentive purposes he is a generic human male, which can be easily brought down by bullets, or one of Batman's patented and proven coma punches. Yes as far as I know the crazy clown does not even wear kevlar in a town overrun with Tommy guns and gangsters. All it would take is a stray bullet and he would be dead or severely injured, something that rarely if ever happens. The handful of times he does get seriously injured he often walks it off like a champ, or it gets conveniently retconned in the next story. For marketing purposes and due to popularity the joker will aways be there, or his abused henchman sidekick Harley Quinn. That does not make them any more interesting or tolerable to me. Keep in mind though, this is my personal opinion, feel free to disagree.

Batman has a lot of great villains. Hell, DC in general has more crooks than I can recollect. However a lot of these never shows up in live action at all.

To mention a couple I can recall from the movies, we have had Two-face, the Penguin, Freeze, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Joker, Rasha Ghoul, Bane, Scarecrow, Riddler and a few more I've most likely forgot.

Back to my questionably constricted point though. The villains I have just mentioned does have some screen time and presence. Compared to a mentally deranged man with a big smile, they might as well ntl exist at all. It feels to me that no matter whom the main villai is, the clown keeps stealing the show. Sometimes I think the better solution would be to just focus one villain and make the movie into a detective drama, where the Bat has to actually play the part of being the worlds best detective. Having him play a cat and mouse game with Gorilla Grod could be a highly entertaining romp to watch. Now whether or not Hollywood is capable of writing and producing such a story is an entirely different story. To top it all of I might as well mention Batman's boring back story yet again. Or not, because that seem to be the important thing every time a new Batman story comes out.


Cheers

Zaceron

No comments:

Post a Comment